Expedition "NORTH POLE-1" Collection

СЕВЕРНЫЙ ПОЛЮС - 1 (North Pole - 1) was the first Soviet manned drifting station used for scientific hydrological and geographical research of the polar area. The North Pole - 1 polar station was opened on June 6th 1937 some 20 kilometres from the North Pole and operated for 9 months, during which the ice floe travelled 2,850 kilometres.

The expedition ended 79 years ago on February 19th 1938 and the Soviet ice breakers took four polar explorers - hydrobiologist Piotr Shirshov, geophysicist Yevgeny Fiodorov, radioman Ernst Krenkel and the leader Ivan Papaninov from the station close to the eastern coast of Greenland.

14 products